My heart goes out to all of you have ever had to build a house from scratch! SOOO many decisions. We're just finishing the basement and sometimes I think ... "I can NOT make one more decision about things". Especially after we painted the bathroom. Laid the tile next to it and I said ... "all wrong". We repainted within hours to a more silver gray, instead of a greener gray. I'm still hoping that all the pieces come together OK. I AM NOT AN INTERIOR DECORATOR! LuAnn where are you when I need you! Oh that's right I have a budget to stick with ... OK LuAnn stay away!
So while I was in Texas for 2 1/2 weeks awaiting cute little Adelaide's arrival Scott and Zach start the basement project. I've been gathering pieces for 3 years now (since we moved in here). A tub, toilet, sink, lights, sheet rock mud, etc. It seems like when I go away Scott gets a bee in his bonnet and things really start to roll. I like it when I go away! We are now getting close to finishing the bathroom (that's one out of three). The only things left are the window sill (all 13 pieces ... yes the builder did not lie when he said that there are 13 pieces in each window casing) and the crowning glory ... the toilet installed. Because Scott and I do not do this everyday of our lives we are slow ... oh so slow. We have to think out each little project. Let me tell you that add so many decisions and then cut a board wrong and it is the ingredients of a little argument! Last night I threatened to walk off the job ... what's he going to do hold back my wages?
I consider myself the sous carpenter. I do a lot of the prep work, the cleaning up, the buying of supplies etc. (Much like a sous chef). I work with the pretend carpenter, not a real carpenter. I'm learning about all kinds of miter joints, compound miter joints, thin set, grout, paintable caulk ... call me with your questions and I'll refer you to YouTube! We eat dinner watching YouTube segments about tiling, grouting, cutting baseboard and crown molding! We have learned so much from those little blurbs! Now I'm looking for someone who has done Venetian Plaster ... can't wait to tell Scott what my plans are. He usually just knows it's easier to join in than to fight me.
Anyway I tried to pull the color gray from the tile we used (used all over this house but with warm tans and browns). I could see a spa like bath in my mind. Calm, soothing gray ... needless to say the bathroom's been painted three times now. Primer, then a green gray, then a more silver gray. I think it's finally coming together, but I must admit for awhile I was pretty scared that I might have to paint it again!!!
So I'm off to THE BASEMENT. Time to prime last nights work on the window casings then off on my daily trip to Lowes to buy the missing baseboard that we need ... again!
So while I was in Texas for 2 1/2 weeks awaiting cute little Adelaide's arrival Scott and Zach start the basement project. I've been gathering pieces for 3 years now (since we moved in here). A tub, toilet, sink, lights, sheet rock mud, etc. It seems like when I go away Scott gets a bee in his bonnet and things really start to roll. I like it when I go away! We are now getting close to finishing the bathroom (that's one out of three). The only things left are the window sill (all 13 pieces ... yes the builder did not lie when he said that there are 13 pieces in each window casing) and the crowning glory ... the toilet installed. Because Scott and I do not do this everyday of our lives we are slow ... oh so slow. We have to think out each little project. Let me tell you that add so many decisions and then cut a board wrong and it is the ingredients of a little argument! Last night I threatened to walk off the job ... what's he going to do hold back my wages?
I consider myself the sous carpenter. I do a lot of the prep work, the cleaning up, the buying of supplies etc. (Much like a sous chef). I work with the pretend carpenter, not a real carpenter. I'm learning about all kinds of miter joints, compound miter joints, thin set, grout, paintable caulk ... call me with your questions and I'll refer you to YouTube! We eat dinner watching YouTube segments about tiling, grouting, cutting baseboard and crown molding! We have learned so much from those little blurbs! Now I'm looking for someone who has done Venetian Plaster ... can't wait to tell Scott what my plans are. He usually just knows it's easier to join in than to fight me.
Anyway I tried to pull the color gray from the tile we used (used all over this house but with warm tans and browns). I could see a spa like bath in my mind. Calm, soothing gray ... needless to say the bathroom's been painted three times now. Primer, then a green gray, then a more silver gray. I think it's finally coming together, but I must admit for awhile I was pretty scared that I might have to paint it again!!!
So I'm off to THE BASEMENT. Time to prime last nights work on the window casings then off on my daily trip to Lowes to buy the missing baseboard that we need ... again!
Patty, I'm proud of you! You go girl! You are so talented, I'll be excited to see your basement when it's finished!!
ReplyDelete